Preventative Dentistry in Cranbourne
At Shine Dental Group, we’re just as serious about preventing dental problems as we are about treating them. We believe that good oral hygiene and habits begin at home and early in life. This includes daily brushing, flossing, having a healthy diet, and making regular check-up appointments with your dentist for preventative dental care.
Having a strict oral regime and discipline that you stick with from an early age is an investment that helps keep teeth for a lifetime. Our dentists are committed to helping instil these good habits in addition to providing affordable preventative dentistry in Cranbourne to help you avoid the costly treatment options and poor outcomes that can come with long periods of neglecting your oral health. We recommend 6 monthly check-up and cleans to maintain oral health. We may also recommend certain preventative dental procedures to prevent serious problems from developing and avoid the progression of dental disease.
Why is Preventative Dental Care Important?
Preventive dentistry is the practice of taking care of your teeth to keep and maintain them healthy. With preventative dental treatment from Shine Dental Group, you will be able to reduce the chances of developing dental oral problems such as:
- Enamel loss
Maintaining good oral health can also have benefits for a person’s health, with a number of studies showing that oral health is linked to overall health. Our preventative dental services are designed to help maintain optimal oral health and hygiene for long-term benefits.
When Should My Child Start Visiting the Dentist for Preventative Care?
Infants and toddlers should start to come to the dentist as early as 12-18 months or if you have any concerns about their teeth. Preventative dental care should start as soon as the first tooth emerges through the gums to ensure good oral health from a young age. Another reason for children to visit the dentist early in their lives is to determine if preventative orthodontics may be required to reposition or straighten the teeth.
How Can I Prevent Dental Problems At Home?
As the wellbeing of all our patients is our main priority, we have compiled a list of dental care tips you can follow at home to help take your dental routine to a higher level. In addition to visiting our clinic regularly for preventative dentistry in Cranbourne, we recommend that you:
- Use a proper brushing technique: To get deep into the bacteria and polish your teeth, you should brush your teeth on a 45-degree angle to your gums. Strokes should be short, with a back and forward motion across the sides and top of your teeth.
- Brush for an adequate time: Even when you use the right technique, if you don’t brush for long enough, you’ll never get rid of all plaque and bacteria. The recommended time for brushing teeth is at least two minutes.
- Use the right brush for you: To achieve a thorough clean and ensure the best preventative dental care, you must use the right size toothbrush that can reach into the crevices of your molars. Food debris can stay in your molars after eating which can cause tooth decay if not removed. The dentists at Shine Dental Group are happy to advise you on the optimal type of brush for your teeth.
- Floss Properly: Removing plaque from between your teeth with flossing is important to avoid decay and other issues. When flossing, it’s important to use a clean piece of floss to avoid reinserting bacteria that you’ve just removed.
- Change your brush regularly: It is important that you change your toothbrush every three to four months to ensure the bristles are effectively reaching and polishing your teeth. After constant regular use, toothbrush bristles tend to deteriorate, meaning that the removal of bacteria is not as effective.
- Use a mouthwash: Lastly, to ensure your teeth and gums are completely clean, it is recommended to use a mouthwash. Mouthwashes help get rid of bacteria that brushing and flossing can’t. Additionally, mouthwash will help keep your breath fresher for longer.
With these tips, you’ll be able to keep your teeth in excellent condition. However, to maintain optimal oral health, visits to your dentist on a regular basis are key.
Learn More About Our Preventative Dental Services Today
To learn more about preventative dental treatment at Shine Dental Group, contact our clinic today. We’re proud to offer preventative dentistry for Cranbourne, Lyndhurst and Lynbrook locals who are looking to maintain their oral health. Call us now on (03) 5995 9789 to learn more or make an appointment.