Dental Check-up Cranbourne
Gums are the foundation for your teeth. The primary cause of gum disease is the build-up of plaque and calculus (tartar). Plaque is a slimy and sticky layer of bacteria that builds up on the teeth. This is caused by poor oral hygiene resulting from not cleaning the teeth well enough. Calculus is plaque hardened over time that is stuck on the teeth and cannot be removed with tooth brushing.
Gingivitis is the initial stage of gum disease and the usual signs are that of inflammation, redness and bleeding gums. If not controlled gingivitis can progress to irreversible damage- periodontitis which affects, gums teeth and the surrounding bone around these teeth leading ultimately to loss of teeth.
Mouth is the dirtiest place in the human body. Unhealthy mouth causes bad bacteria to thrive and inflammation in the mouth can translate to inflammation in the body and compromised the immune system. Bad bacteria have been implicated in heart disease, high blood pressure, arthritis , diabetes and the list goes on.
Steps to prevent and control gum disease:
- Maintaining excellent oral hygiene daily.
- Removal of plaque and calculus from the teeth and gums by scaling (professional cleaning by the dentist).
- Regular dental check-up and periodic maintenance programs to prevent, monitor and control periodontal disease.
- Timely referral to the appropriate specialist if needed in severe cases.
Benefits of oral hygiene treatment:
- Teeth that look and feel clean
- Healthy teeth, gums and bone leading to a healthier mouth
- Increased chances of keeping your own teeth for life.
If you havent been having a regular dental check-up appointment then you may have holes in your teeth and issues that need to be addressed – Book in your dental check up in Cranbourne today with our dentist.