Dentures in Cranbourne
A denture is a prosthesis that is constructed for the replacement of missing teeth in your mouth to help restore and maintain normal chewing, bite, speech and aesthetics. At Shine Dental Group, we offer dentures in Cranbourne as an affordable alternative to other teeth replacement options. Our dentures are designed to be natural looking and more comfortable than ever. We have years of experience with dental dentures and will be able to determine exactly which type is most suitable for your needs. Our denture clinic in Cranbourne West is committed to helping you find the perfect denture fit for you.
When Are Dentures Needed?
Dental dentures may be required when one or more teeth have been lost. Teeth can become lost due to numerous reasons, including:
- Cracked /brittle teeth
- Gum disease
What Types of Dentures Are Available?
Dentures are made of artificial teeth bonded to a plastic base made of acrylic or metal. The colour of the teeth can be closely matched to your natural teeth. Your dentist will take the necessary measurements and arrange for a dental laboratory to make the dentures to specification. Same day dentures may also be an option for certain patients.
The different types of dentures include:
- Complete/full denture –Can be made for upper, lower or both, and is suitable for when all the teeth are missing. This type of denture is normally placed within 8-12 weeks after the teeth have been removed or extracted to completely allow the gums to heal.
- Partial Denture – Made to replace only a few missing teeth while keeping the rest of your natural teeth. Includes clasps that go around the natural teeth to help secure and hold the denture in position. Partial dentures prevent natural teeth from moving and are generally made from all-acrylic or acrylic materials.
- Immediate Denture –Also known as same day dentures, these are placed in the same appointment as when the teeth are removed so that the patient avoids a period without teeth. Mainly done when the front teeth are to be removed, with the main purpose being aesthetics. These cosmetic dentures will need an extra refitting procedure called a reline after 6 weeks.
- Over denture– This fits over root canal treated tooth roots by attachment to dental implants. The teeth or implants secure it in place by acting as anchors. The over denture is also removable.
How to Care for Your Dentures
No matter which type of dental dentures you wear, it’s important to properly take care of them. Our dentists have compiled a couple of aftercare tips on how to appropriately take care of your dentures and maintain them for longer:
- Rinse your dentures after eating. It is important to remove all food debris to ensure durability and effectiveness of your dentures.
- Clean your mouth after removing your dentures. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean your natural teeth and keep them healthy. Ensure you clean your tongue, cheeks and palate to remove all bacteria.
- Clean your dental dentures daily. After you remove your dentures, gently clean them by soaking and brushing them with a soft-bristled brush. Use a non-abrasive denture cleanser to remove food and plaque. Remember not to use denture cleansers inside your mouth for safety reasons.
- Soak your dentures overnight. Place your dentures in water or denture-soaking solution overnight. Most types of dentures need to stay moist to keep their shape. Your dentist at Shine Dental Group will explain to you the best way to store your dentures overnight.
It is also vital to schedule regular dental check-ups to guarantee your dentures maintain the proper fit and ensure the inside of your mouth is healthy. Your dentist will advise you on how often you should get your dentures examined and professionally cleaned.
Learn More About Our Dentures in Cranbourne Today
If you’re a local in Cranbourne, Lyndhurst or Lynbrook searching for “dentures near me”, make an appointment today at Shine Dental Group. We can determine which type of full/partial dentures will best fit your mouth and answer any questions you may have about cost. Call us today on (03) 5995 9789 to make a booking at our denture clinic in Cranbourne West.