A denture is a prosthesis that is constructed for the replacement of missing teeth in your mouth to help restore and maintains normal chewing , bite, speech and esthetics (improve the smile).
Teeth may have been lost due to numerous reasons
- cracked /brittle teeth -gum disease
Dentures are made of artificial teeth bonded to a plastic base made of acrylic or metal. The colour of the teeth can be closely matched to your natural teeth. The dentist makes all the decision and takes the necessary measurements and dental laboratory makes it under the dentist specifications.
There are different types of dentures:
- Complete/Full Denture – can be made for upper or lower or both. It is made when all the teeth are missing and used to replace the teeth and gums. This type of denture is normally placed within 8-12 weeks after the teeth have been removed or extracted to completely allow the gums to heal.
- Partial Denture – made to replace only a few missing teeth while keeping the rest of your natural teeth. It will include some clasps that goes around the natural teeth that will help secure and hold the denture in position. Partial dentures will prevent your natural teeth from moving and they are generally made from all-acrylic or acrylic materials.
- Immediate Denture - this is placed at the same appointment as the teeth are removed so that the patient avoids a period without teeth. Mainly done when the front teeth are to be removed and main purpose is for aesthetics. This type of denture will need an extra refitting procedure called reline after 6 weeks.
- Overdenture – is one that fits over-root canal treated tooth roots by attachment to dental implants. The teeth or implants secure it in place by acting as anchors. The overdenture is also removable.
At Shine dental, we understand that it might take some time to get used to the feel of dentures. However, our dentures are natural looking and more comfortable than ever. Our dentists are the denture experts in Cranbourne and with their long years of expertise, they will know exactly which type of denture is the most suitable for your dental needs. Our dentists are simply committed to help you find the perfect denture fit for you.
No matter which teeth replacement solution you get, it’s important to properly take care of your dentures. Our dentists have compiled a couple of tips on how to appropriately take care of your dentures and maintain their shape for longer.
- Rinse dentures after eating. It is important to remove all the food debris to ensure durability and effectiveness of your dentures.
- Clean your mouth after removing dentures. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean your natural teeth and maintain them healthy. Ensure you clean your tongue, cheeks and palate to remove all bacteria.
- Clean your dentures daily. After you remove your dentures, gently clean your dentures by soaking and brushing them with a soft-bristled brush. Use a non-abrasive denture cleanser to remove food and plaque. Remember not to use denture cleansers inside your mouth for safety reasons.
- Soak dentures overnight. Place your dentures in water or denture-soaking solution overnight. Most types of dentures need to stay moist to keep their shape. Your dentist at Shine Dental will explain to you the best way to store your dentures overnight.
Our dentists here in Cranbourne know it is vital to schedule regular dental check-ups to guarantee the dentures maintain the proper fit and the inside of your mouth it’s healthy. Your dentist will advise you how often you should visit Shine Dental to get your dentures examined and professionally cleaned.